What Are the Causes of Neck Pain?
Neck pain remains one of the most common complaints we hear at Druzbik Family Chiropractic, especially among people over the age of 50. In some cases, neck pain also radiates to other parts of the body, including the upper back and arms. This pain can be caused by many different conditions and health issues, but the most common reasons are the following:
- Awkward sleeping position
- Disk degeneration characterized by narrowing of the spinal canal
- Muscle spasms
- Spending long times in front of a computer
- Muscle strains
What Are the Treatment Options Available?
In most cases, neck pain is mild and disappears on its own. All you need to do is to use self-care methods for a few weeks. However, if the pain remains severe and is not going away for an extended period of time, it means that you have to seek medical attention. Most likely, you will be suggested one of the following treatment options:
- Physical therapy. A physical therapist may recommend such effective methods as ice and heat therapy, alignment exercises, electrical stimulation, and other treatment options, the purpose of which is to alleviate the pain and prevent it from occurring again.
- Traction. In this procedure, a certified physical therapist or a healthcare professional uses such tools as weights, pulleys, and an air bladder to stretch the neck muscles and reduce the pain and feeling of discomfort.
- Immobilization for a short period of time. In some cases, it may be necessary to wear a special soft collar in order to support the neck and take off the pressure on the shoulders. However, it is important to remember that you should wear a collar not more than several hours a day.
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS). In this procedure, a mild electrical current is used to alleviate the pain.
Druzbik Family Chiropractic in Statesville, NC - Your Journey to a Healthy Life Starts Here
If you are tired of the pain in the neck that is not going away, our specialists at Druzbik Family Chiropractic, located in Statesville, NC, are ready to help you. We provide high-quality chiropractic care, the purpose of which is to limit the pain and help you get back to normal healthy life as soon as possible. If you are suffering from pain that is not going away, do not hesitate to contact us to schedule an appointment.