Understanding Muscle Strains and How Chiropractic Care Can Help
Muscle strains, or pulled muscles, are common and painful sports injuries. However, the injury can occur due to multiple reasons, such as overexerting your muscles at work or lifting items with improper form. Chiropractic care offers a holistic and non-invasive way to help you heal from a muscle strain while strengthening your body to prevent re-injury. Our team at Druzbik Family Chiropractic in Statesville, NC, is here to explain what a muscle strain is, how it occurs, and how chiropractic care can help.
What Is a Muscle Strain?
Muscle strains are injuries that occur when a muscle gets overstretched. In some cases, the muscle gets stretched so far that some tissues in the muscle tear. This tearing can lead to symptoms like:
- Mild to intense muscle pain
- Muscle weakness
- Muscle spasms
- Limited range of motion
While muscle strains are a common sports injury, they can also occur in everyday life. For example, if your job requires repetitive lifting or you help a friend move a heavy couch, and your body overexerts itself, you can strain a muscle. Repetitive lifting or lifting with an improper technique can easily lead to muscle pain.
Another potential issue can be muscle tension. Your muscles are less pliable when they are tense. Sudden lifting and movement make your muscles more likely to tear when they have tension.
Is a Strain the Same Thing as a Sprain?
While both sprains and strains are soft tissue injuries, they are different. Strains occur in the muscles and tendons. Sprains, on the other hand, occur in the ligaments when they get overstretched or overexerted. A chiropractor can help reduce your pain and improve your mobility regardless of if you have a sprain or strain.
How Can Chiropractic Care Help?
Chiropractic care provides several natural methods of healing and recovery for musculoskeletal injuries. Though every individual’s treatment plan will differ, some common techniques used to treat muscle pain include the following:
- Adjustments: Adjustments restore alignment in the back, neck, and extremities to remove undue strain from the soft tissues.
- Soft tissue therapy: Soft tissue techniques, such as chiropractic massage, can help relieve tension, improve blood flow, help healing nutrients get to the injured site, and restore range of motion.
- Cold laser therapy: Cold laser therapy sends low levels of laser energy into the damaged tissues. This energy helps relieve tension, reduce inflammation, and promote cellular healing.
- Therapeutic exercise: Targeted stretching and strengthening exercises help restore range of motion, reduce pain and inflammation, and promote natural healing.
See Your Chiropractor Near You in Statesville, NC, to Treat Your Strains Today
Muscle strains can make your day-to-day life painful and challenging, so contact Druzbik Family Chiropractor in Statesville, NC, to get chiropractic treatment and start feeling like yourself again. Call us and schedule a consultation at (704) 878-9744 to get back to doing what you love without the pain.